The resort of Praz de Lys Sommand is located in the Haute-Savoie region of France and offers a wide range of activities for your holidays, both in summer and winter. You can practice downhill or cross-country skiing.
The territory of the resort is located in two communes: Tanninges and Mieussy, at an altitude of 600 m. These two villages each have a hamlet at an altitude of 1,500 m which allows you to practice snow sports. These are Praz de Lys and Sommand. In Taninges, you can discover the beautiful Chartreuse de Mélan and its cloister, classified as a historic monument. The ringing of the 44 bells of the carillon is impressive.
Mieussy is a small village typical of the Haute-Savoie. You can taste the excellent Reblochon cheeseand the Savoy tomme at the Hauts-Fleury dairy.
For cycling enthusiasts, the ascent of the Col de la Ramaz is a great challenge. You can also visit the historic site of Perthuiset, where the first paragliding flight took place. For the more adventurous, the waters of the Giffre torrent offer kayaking, hydrospeed, rafting and canyoning.
In winter you will have access to 55 km of slopes with two beginner sectors, a snowpark and a boardercross. The exposure is excellent and the view of Mont Blanc is sumptuous. Cross-country skiing is not forgotten as you can practice on more than 60 km of groomed tracks between forests and mountain pastures. More than 30 km of marked routes allow you to do Nordic walking and trail running on snow. The discovery of sled dogs is an unforgettable moment for the whole family that we recommend.
Top rated hotels
To be as close as possible to the ski slopes, you can rent a flat or a hotel room in Praz de Lys Sommand. So all you have to do is enjoy your stay in the Haute-Savoie resort.
Depending on your budget, we have selected five hotels in Taninges and Mieussy that offer excellent value for money. They have very good reviews:
L’Appart’hôtel du Pic
This hotel in Taninges offers fully-equipped accommodation with television, kitchen with microwave, fridge and coffee machine. A continental breakfast is served in the dining room. There are many shops nearby, such as a bakery and a supermarket.
From € 80 per night.
Gîte Balnéo Au Cœur des Alpes
This beautiful and well-reviewed address in Taninges offers fully-equipped chalets with one or two bedrooms as well as a whirlpool bath, a hammam and beauty treatments on request. The location is ideal for skiing and hiking.
Prices start at € 209 per night.
Le Chalet du Pic Private SPA & Fitness
The accommodation is well-equipped with a jacuzzi, terrace or balcony. The fully equipped kitchen has a TV, oven and microwave, toaster, coffee machine and dishwasher. Located in Taninges, 15 minutes from the ski slopes and toboggan runs. You can go hiking from the chalet.
From €168 per night.
Chalet Hotel Vaccapark
Located in Mieussy on the Sommand plateau, this hotel features an indoor swimming pool, a wellness centre with massages and beauty treatments. The restaurant serves traditional Savoy dishes. Its location is convenient for fishing, hiking and skiing.
From € 125 per night.
Residence Pierre & Vacances Les Mouflons I and II
Located in the heart of the Praz de Lys ski resort, this holiday residence is ideally situated 100 metres from the ski lifts. Enjoy the panoramic view of Lake Geneva, Mont Blanc and the Jura mountains.
Prices start at 110 € per night.
The most beautiful chalets
For an unforgettable holiday in the mountains, we offer you the rental of 3 chalets near Praz de Lys-Sommand which have received excellent customer reviews:
This 60 m² flat located in Praz de Lys has a surface area of 60 m². It has a swimming pool, a balcony, 2 bedrooms, a living room and an equipped kitchen. Positive points: the view, the proximity of the resort, the shuttles and the magnificent hikes that can be done nearby.
Le Chalet Du Pic Private SPA & Fitness
This beautiful chalet features a gym, a terrace, a fully equipped kitchen, a dishwasher and a whirlpool. You can easily access the ski slopes or go hiking from this beautiful location to enjoy your holiday in the mountains.
Chalet aux 3 biches
This pretty chalet in Mieussy offers an outdoor swimming pool in summer, Wi-Fi access and a beautiful terrace. Breakfast is served on request. You can go on beautiful bike or snowshoe hikes from the accommodation.
This resort offers beautiful snowshoeing tours to discover the sleeping nature during the winter season:
The loop in the centre of the resort
This outing allows you to visit the centre of the resort by spotting the cross-country ski tracks, the kindergarten, the market and the dog sledding track. The view offers a wide panorama of the Mont Blanc chain and the Marcelly peak.
The Farquet loop
The departure is at the Nordic ski slopes. It is an easy outing, which allows you to learn how to use snowshoes. The view is breathtaking over Haut Fleury, Haute Pointe, Pertuiset, Rovagne and Chavasse.
The crossing of the Ramaz
This one-day hike with picnic or restaurant offers an exceptional view. From the Col de la Ramaz, culminating at 1,619 metres, you can admire the Alpine chain.
This circuit links the Chevaly snow front, located in the centre of Praz de Lys, with the Terrasses du Mont-Blanc accommodation centre. You will come across authentic mountain pasture farms and enjoy a beautiful view of the Aravis massif and the Haut Fleury peaks.
The loop of the fir trees
This hike allows you to discover the Sommand peat bog which is the most beautiful in the French Alps. When the snow melts, it has a great wealth of flowers. The flat ground is well suited to family outings.
A joëring ski ride
We present you with an alternative to downhill skiing, which is a very old practice that originated in Scandinavia 2,500 years ago. Ski joëring consists in being pulled by a horse while wearing a pair of skis on a groomed track. The horse moves at a walk, trot or gallop, depending on your level. This sport is accessible from the first ski star. It is offered by the Paddocks du Mont-Blanc.
Ideas for summer activities
A wide variety of activities are offered to tourists in summer. They allow you to take advantage of this human-sized resort.
- Summer Fastcoot: this scooter has 4 inch low pressure tyres and a telescopic fork. Two downhill tracks are installed: a green agility track and a blue sensation track. The tracks are open from 11/07 to 23/08, the price is 3 € per descent. Address: Piste de Chevaly, Praz de Lys, 74440 Tanninges.
- The Agile Beech: this activity, supervised by a guide, allows you to learn to climb trees. This ecology lesson teaches you about vegetation and respect for nature. Tree climbing is practiced on the sites of Tanninges and Sixt-Fer-à-Cheval. Open from 01/06 to 31/10. The minimum age is 7 years. PRM are welcome.
- La Ferme aux Escargots d’Arno: this educational farm allows children to discover the job of a snail farmer and to play with gastropods. Located in Mieussy, the price is 5 € and 3 € for children aged 3 to 14.
- Taste at the farm: this gourmet outing offers a tasting of Savoyard products with the flavours of the mountain pastures. Schedule: Monday to Saturday from 4pm from 06/06 to 01/10. Price: 8 € and 6 € for children. Address: Chalets des Bons Fromages, Praz de Lys, 74440 Tanninges.
- Haut-Fleury chairlift: on the way to the 2,000 m altitude, picnic table and orientation are available at the top. It is the starting point for beautiful hikes towards the Haut-Fleury peak. The climb takes 15 minutes, price: 5 € adult, 3 € children. Open from 11/07 to 230/08. Address: Praz de Lys, 74440 Tanninges.
The Chartreuse de Mélan
This ancient monastery dedicated to women has been located in the Giffre valley, not far from Tanninges, for over 700 years. From 1285 to the French Revolution, it housed a community of nuns. Owned by the Haute-Savoie department, this monument can be visited and activities are also offered. The 12th century church has a painted decoration dating from the 15th century. The magnificent 16th century cloister is a testimony to the late Gothic style. At the same time, contemporary sculptures are exhibited in the park of the Charterhouse. The cloister hosts several concerts each summer.Address: Avenue Mélan, 74440 Tanninges, open from 10 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and from 1.30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Closed on Tuesdays outside the months of July and August. The visit is free.
Every summer discover Festigrat’s
FestiGrat’s is the summer event in the resort since 2019. This music festival takes place on four dates during the summer holidays, in four beautiful locations.
- La pointe du Haut Fleury: at an altitude of 2,000 m, open-air music is offered on this plateau. Access is by the Haut-Fleury chairlift and the descent the same way or on foot to discover the alpine pastures.
- The hamlet of Roche Pallud: located in Sommand, in the meadows, the hamlet of Roche Pallud welcomes every year groups of travelling musicians.
- The old village of Tanninges: from Tanninges, you will cross the old village to reach the park of the castle where the concerts take place.
- The Mieussy viaduct: in the centre of the village of Mieussy, the green esplanade can accommodate a large audience.
The festival offers rock, folk, blues and French song groups. Catering is available in Mieussy and Tanninges. All the sites are equipped with refreshment stands.
Access and public transport
To reach this resort, the choices depend on your means of transport:
- By car: take the A40 motorway. For Tanninges – Praz de Lys, take exit 18: Scionzier-Cluses. For Mieussy-Sommand, take exit 15 Vallée Verte. Important: in winter the Col de la Ramaz road is closed.
- By train: you can choose between the TGV stations of Cluses for Tanninges, Annemasse for Mieussy or Geneva for Praz de Lys Sommand. Transfer is then by taxi, bus or shuttle.
- By plane: Geneva-Cointrin airport is 40 km away.
In terms of public transport, during the winter season, an“eco- shuttle” connects the villages of Taninges and Mieussy with the high altitude sites (1,500 m) of the resort of Praz de Lys Sommand. This collective transport is practical for getting around and doing your shopping or getting to the foot of the slopes. Fare: 1.5 € per day, 13.50 € for a 10 day card. Tickets are on sale at the Tourist Office or individually in the shuttle.