The Semnoz ski resort is the closest to Annecy. This mid-mountain resort welcomes you to a family ski area, just a few minutes from the Annecy urban area. The resort is at an altitude of 1,450 metres and allows you to ski from December to March, depending on the snow conditions. This resort is not supplied with drinking water, which has enabled it to limit its urbanisation and preserve its natural setting.
Le Semnoz, a resort close to Annecy
The Semnoz ski resort is located in the immediate vicinity of the town of Annecy. Very popular during the winter, it is best to get there early in the morning if you want to find a place.
The first hotel-restaurant was built in 1872. At that time, it was already possible to enjoy the slopes of the Semnoz.
In 1963, the mayor of Annecy decided to create the Syndicat Intercommunal d’étude pour la protection et l’aménagement du Semnoz. The objective was simple: to preserve this massif. With this in mind, the SIPAS prevented the construction of a 4,000-bed housing project in 1976.
Little by little, the small resort developed. In 2000, the summer toboggan was installed and SPIAS joined the Parc Naturel Régional des Bauges. In 2018, the Télémix was inaugurated, which considerably reduced the time needed to climb to the top of the resort.
A ski area for all levels
Ski every day of the winter from 9am to 5pm on the Semnoz ski area. Come whenever you like, even for a few hours. Packages are available from 2 hours to a full day. Indulge yourself for as long as you like and pay only for what you need!
- 18 runs, including 7 green, 5 blue and 6 red
- 10 lifts, including 7 ski lifts, 1 gondola (kindergarten) and 2 chairlifts
Cross-country skiing (Nordic)
- Kilometres of cross-country skiing trails: 46 km
- 9 trails , including 3 green, 3 blue, 2 red, 1 black
The Semnoz resort may not be the most important in the region, but it offers a very nice slopestyle for freestyle skiers and snowboarders. A 900-metre slope has been laid out with various synthetic or natural modules, for all those who love jumps, tricks and rotations. This snowpark is accessible by the Belvedere chairlift and has 3 courses of different levels (green, blue and red).
- Snow modules: green, blue, red, black tables and 1 butter table
- JIB modules: 1 picnic table, 1 box, 2 rainbows of different sizes, 1 flat/descent of 12m, 1 buoy, 1 double hand-rail and 1 inclined plane
During the closure of the ski lifts due to the health crisis, a snowpark has been set up at the bottom of the resort, with three levels of difficulty. It is open on Wednesdays and weekends.
Top rated hotels
Depending on your budget, we have selected five hotels close to the Semnoz which offer excellent value for money and have very good customer reviews:
Hôtel des Marquisats
Conveniently located at the bottom of the Semnoz and 200 m from the shores of Lake Annecy, this hotel allows you to reach the city centre in 20 minutes on foot. Each room is decorated in a different way. Ideal for hiking in the mountains.
From 110 € per night.
Les Trésoms Lake and Spa Resort
Situated opposite the Marquisats beach, on the slopes of the Semnoz, this 4-star hotel features a heated indoor swimming pool, a spa and a renowned gourmet restaurant. It is the ideal starting point to discover the Annecy region.
From 233 € per night.
To reach the Semnoz, just follow the road in front of the hotel. At these feet, you can go swimming in Lake Annecy or at the Marquisats swimming pool. Private parking, swimming pool and air-conditioned rooms for this excellent new 4-star hotel.
From 152 € per room.
Best Western Plus Hotel Carlton
Facing the train station and in the city centre of Annecy, this 4-star hotel is the ideal starting point to discover the lake and to go on excursions in the Semnoz. The hotel is decorated in a modern style and is of high quality.
From 107 € per night.
Hotel Les Rochers Blancs
This hotel, open only during the season, is a real favourite of the editors. Located at the top of the Semnoz, close to the slopes, it offers its guests a warm welcome. The restaurant has an excellent cep fondue and a good rhubarb tart on its menu.
From 110 € per night.
Several sports can be practised in Semnoz during the winter:
Equipment can easily be hired on site or in specialist shops in Annecy.
Paraskiing at the top of the Semnoz
This winter sport is becoming increasingly popular at the top of the Semnoz. Indeed, the summit plateau is devoid of vegetation and the wind often blows strongly. These are ideal conditions for paraskiing.
This sport allows skiers and snowboarders to be pulled by a sail attached with a harness. Kitesurfing is the nautical derivative of this sport and is practiced on Lake Annecy in summer. This sport is quite technical at the beginning and requires an introduction by experienced kitesurfers or by a professional.
Several types of ski passes are available at the Semnoz resort. For alpine skiing, it is possible to opt for passes ranging from one hour to a full day. Multi-day passes are also available.
For cross-country skiing, there are three main solutions: the day pass, the weekly pass or the season pass. All you have to do is decide which one is most profitable for you, especially if you live in the Annecy area.
There are two ski schools where children and adults can learn to ski downhill, cross-country or snowboard. Lessons can be private or in groups. They are intended for beginners as well as for those who already have the basics and wish to improve.
About fifty dynamic and passionate instructors are waiting for students from the age of 3 and will accompany you on skis, snowboards, but also during your snowshoeing trips.
Ideas for summer activities
This resort offers many activities:
- The summer Lugé: the circuit is 850 metres long, with an assisted lift. The descent takes place between the fir trees, with steep turns. Two tunnels and a jump complete the sensations. From 3 to 8 years old, children must be accompanied by a person over 12 years old. The price is the same if there are 2 people in the sled.
- The electric Minikart: intended for children aged 3 to 6, it is an opportunity to learn how to drive. The large electric go-kart allows children to ride with adults.
- The Télémix: it takes you to the top of the resort at an altitude of 1,702 m to discover a beautiful panorama of the neighbouring mountains. Free for children under 5 years old.
- The Runix: this all-terrain kart without engine is equipped with suspensions. A ski lift takes you to the top of the track. Children must be over 1.25 m tall.
- The Blackmountain: this is an all-terrain scooter for slaloming in the Semnoz mountain pasture. Access is via the ski lift.
- The Form’Athlon: located next to the summer snow park, it offers from 10am to 12pm and 1pm to 7pm a cardio course followed by laser rifle shooting on biathlon targets, from 7 years old.
- Themed walks: mountain pastures, mountain activities, fauna and flora from 10 am to 6.45 pm.
All these activities require an activity card of 1, 5, 10 or 25 passages, to be bought at the departure of the summer luge and the Runix.
Access and public transport
The Semnoz ski resort can be reached by car or by bike from Annecy, or via the Col de Leschaux or Quintal.
Summer bus routes
It is possible to get to Semnoz in the summer by shuttle bus from Annecy (Quai n°11 bus station) and from Duingt from June, every weekend and every day in July and August. 9 trips per day are offered from 8.40am to 7pm with two stops at the station. The summer line can carry 22 mountain bikes for 28 seats. Since 2021, it is free of charge.
Winter bus routes
Three bus lines serve the resort in winter, with a bus every 30 minutes from Annecy station from 16 December to 31 March, on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays and during the holidays between 7.30am and 2pm. There are three stops at the foot of the pistes: Nordic, Alpine and Bauges. Departures are from the Annecy bus station, the Vignières stop in Annecy-le-Vieux and the Duingt stop at the church.