Seynod in Haute-Savoie in the Rhône-Alpes region is a delegated commune of the city of Annecy. The population of this delegated municipality is more than 20,000 inhabitants, known as Seynodians.
Geographical and economic situation
Seynod covers more than 1900 hectares at an altitude of 450 to 1020 metres, with the centre of Seynod at 530 metres. In the 1950s, Seynod was essentially a rural commune with over 80 farms. The arrival of industries such as Metrix and then SNR allowed the expansion of economic zones such as Césardres, Val Vert and Cap Périaz. More than 800 companies employed 7,000 people. In 1965, the growth of Seynod was favoured by the merger of Vieugy and the merger with Balmont in 1973. Balmont merged completely in 1999.
The construction of large housing estates in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s increased the population from 500 in 1947 to over 20,000 in 2016. The creation of the Périaz commercial zone will allow the construction of more than 900 homes in this new district of Seynod.
Cultural and educational facilities
The Seynod auditorium is a 400-seat theatre and cinema. It also has a large stage which allows it to adapt to all possible forms of performance. Annecy’s dance schools, such as Artys, present their end-of-year show in June. But this hall also allows plays and debates. More info at: Auditorium de Seynod
House of Malaz
The Maison de Malaz is primarily reserved for groups (associations, groups and organisations of the commune) and for the activities of the Centre de Loisirs sans Hébergement in the summer. It also receives artists in residence. The park has contemporary sculptures. Continuing on the plateau, you can take a nice walk on the agricultural paths.
Municipal music school EMMA
Cultural service for specialised music teaching in Seynod: 84, avenue des Neigeos, Butte St Martin, Tel: 04 50 69 13 90
Leisure and cultural association for all offering more than 40 activities. Address: Le Polyèdre – 4, impasse Saint-Jean – 74600 SeynodTel. 04 50 69 14 57. Cultural space: www.lepolyedre.fr
Education in Seynod
The town has a very complete level of educational facilities.
Public and public schools and college
- Vieugy public primary schools.
- Vieugy public nursery school.
- Balmont public primary school.
- Barral public primary school.
- Du Cep Public Primary School
- La Jonchère Public Primary School.
- Les Muraillons Public Primary School.
- Les Neigeos Public Primary School.
- Les Cordeliers Private Primary School.
- Le Semnoz College.
Public and private high schools
- Amédée Gordini vocational high school.
- Les Bressis private vocational high school.
- Les Bressis private technological high school.
Sports and commercial facilities
Ile Bleue swimming pool
The Ile Bleue swimming pool has two pools and a paddling poolas well as numerous facilities such as a gym, a jacuzzi, a giant slide and swimming and aquagym classes. There is also a snack bar / restaurant open to all. More information : Seynod swimming pool
Cap Periaz: Jacques Besson space
At the foot of the mountains and on the shores of Lake Annecy, Cap Periaz welcomes you with a range of turnkey services in a fully modular space. Open up to new perspectives to celebrate a wedding or organise debate evenings for example.
The Arcal’oz shopping centre in Seynod
Conceived as a large shopping street, the Arcal’oz shopping centre offers many shops such as FoireFouille, Boulanger, Stockomani, ElectroDepot and Bébé 9. A little further down the road, we recommend MaxiZoo, a specialised pet shop with very good value for money.
Top rated hotels
Depending on your budget, we have selected five hotels near Seynod that offer excellent value for money and have very good customer reviews:
Ibis Budget Poisy
Very close to Seynod, this budget hotel offers quality facilities: air conditioning, free parking, free Wi-Fi, rooms accessible to PRM. The reception is open 24 hours a day. Annecy city centre is a 15-minute drive away.From €59 per room.
Located 5 minutes from Seynod in the riverside town of Cran-Gevrier, this 3-star hotel features large air-conditioned rooms. The terrace and bar are popular with guests and the reception is open 24 hours a day.From €87 per night.
Ibis Styles Annecy Gare Centre
This hotel is located in the station area of Annecy, which is very convenient for visiting the city on foot. The rooms are air-conditioned and accessible to disabled guests. Parking is available in the nearby public car parks andcosts from €110 per night.
Icone Hotel Annecy
The hotel is housed in a 16th century house. It offers 25 double, triple and quadruple rooms. We recommend the rooms with a view of the courtyard, which are quieter in summer. The city of Annecy can be visited on foot from the hotel.From 69 € per room.
Kyriad Annecy Cran-Gevrier
Close to Seynod, this budget hotel is located on the route des Creuses. The rooms are spacious and you can enjoy the beautiful terrace during the nice days. Guests recommend the hotel for its good value for money,from 62 € per night.
Heritage and popular festivals
This castle is fairly well preserved with a round tower and a beautiful carriage entrance surmounted bya coat of arms from 1593 bearing the Pelard coat of arms, and is located on a natural hillock at an altitude of 600 metres.
The church of Vieugy
It is built at the top of the Saint-Martin hillock. It can be dated to the end of the 8th century, the present church dates from the 15th century. It is typical of rural churches that have preserved their architecture.
The church of Saint-Martin de Vieugy
This neo-Gothic building symbolises the past independence of the village of Vieugy which was attached to Seynod during the 20th century. It was built in the 19th century around the new main town of the commune.
Castle of Periaz
This castle is located 500 m downstream from Châteauvieux, on the road to Aix. This fortified residence dates back to the 16th century, when it was acquired by the Regard family. Its plan consists of a rectangular building with two triangular towers pierced with loopholes and a dovecote on each one opening into a full corner ridge.
The church of Notre-Dame de l’Assomption
Also in neo-Gothic style, this building was rebuilt in 1867. The nave was finished in 1869 and the bell tower in 1900.
The Castle of Méclaz
It is located on a high plateau above the houses of Méclaz, near Quintal. It had a pond, the dykes of which can still be seen. The ruins are not very visible. It was acquired in 1824 by a property dealer, who divided the land.
But also :
- Orlie Castle
- House of the nobles of Orlier
- Church of the Bressis
- The old Seynod
Different popular events are proposed each year on the territory of Seynod:
- On 13 and 14 July, the festival committee organises“La Seynodienne” in the town centre. This event begins on 13 July with fireworks. Then a big flea market takes place with a demonstration of old vehicles.
- On the first weekend of September, the“Fête du Vieux Seynod” is proposed by the Friends of Vieux Seynod. It is an opportunity to discover the craft traditions of the countryside. The festival is organised by the association Les Amis du Vieux Seynod and continues on Saturday evening with a traditional meal and fireworks. The event takes place on the Saint Martin hillock, which recalls the rural life of the farms by its architecture.
- On the second Saturday of September, the Sports Club Forum allows the clubs of Seynod to present themselves by organising stands and demonstrations of the different sports activities.
- During the month of October, the association Seynod en Fêtes proposes the Autumn Festival. Numerous tastings allow you to taste the culinary specialities of Haute-Savoie.
- Finally, in November, you can visit the Travellers’ Forum which brings together thousands of travellers. They present their experiences and new tourist destinations.
Markets in Seynod
The commune of Seynod offers two markets on its territory:
- The market of Seynod which is held every Wednesday from 8 H to 12 H, avenue de Champ Fleuri and place du Marché.
- The Vieugy market takes place in the centre of the village every Saturday from 8 am to 12 pm.
These two markets are food markets but they also sell flowers, plants and clothes.
Seynod Town Hall
The Seynod town hall was completely renovated in 2006 with the construction of a media library and the renovation of the auditorium. In hot weather, the water fountains in the Place de l’Hôtel de Ville allow children to cool off and play over them.
Address: 27 Avenue de Champ Fleuri, 74600 Seynod. Telephone: 04 50 33 45 00.
Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 12pm and from 1.30pm to 5pm. Saturday from 9 h to 12 h (civil status only).
For the record, the singer Antoine lived in the Barral district in 1958 and the actress Véronique Jeannot attended the Neigeos school until the age of nine.