The village of Villaz in Haute-Savoie in the Rhône-Alpes region is located 10 km north east of Annecy.
Villaz now has more than 3,400 inhabitants called villazois and covers an area of 1,527 hectares. At the foot of the Parmelan mountain, the village rises to an altitude of 705 metres, with the top of the Parmelan at around 1800 metres. Villaz is part of the Greater Annecy agglomeration. It is surrounded by the communes of Naves Parmelan, Annecy-le-Vieux and Argonay.
Monuments and tourist sites
Church of Villaz
This church, which dates from the 19th century, has stained glass windows, notably that of the Virgin and Child, and two bells cast in the prestigious Paccard workshops. It has been listed as a historic monument since 1963 and welcomed Saint François de Sales on 6 October 1607 during a pastoral visit.
Castle of Bon Attrait
This castle is currently a clinic for follow-up care and rehabilitation. It was originally a fortified house.
Find the most beautiful lapiaz of Europe in the Parmelan mountain, pedestrian paths, Roman road, burials of the high Middle Ages, seat of an archpriesthood in the 16th century.
Mont Veyrier Mountain
The Veyrier offers many panoramas for all those who love nature and beautiful views.
The best rated hotels
Depending on your budget, we have selected 5 hotels near Villaz that offer excellent value for money and have very good customer reviews:
La Grange des Pères
A very nice Appart’Hotel located in Pringy near Pringy. The decoration is contemporary and the rooms are spacious. The proximity to the city of Annecy and the resorts allows you to visit the region during your holiday.
From 104 € per night.
Hotel de Novel
This hotel is located north of Annecy and close to the A41 motorway exit. The city centre is a 10-minute walk away for visiting Annecy. The restaurant serves good traditional cuisine with Italian specialities.
From € 95 per night.
Hotel F1 Annecy Argonay
This budget hotel offers quality services with a buffet breakfast served in the breakfast room. Located in the economic area of Argonay, a car is necessary to visit the city of Annecy and its surroundings.
Rates start at 35 € per night.
B&B Hotel Annecy
A beautiful establishment offering spacious air-conditioned rooms with bathroom. Breakfast is served as an all-you-can-eat buffet with bread, pastries and jams. The city of Annecy is 7 km away.
Prices start at € 60 per night.
Logis hotel Annecy nord – Argonay
The hotel was renovated in 2014 and awarded for its ecological approach. Located 6 km from Annecy and 30 mn from the ski resorts of La Clusaz and Le Grand-Bornand. The large terrace is south facing.
From 70 € per night.
18, rue du Porche RondOpening hours: Wednesdays from 16:00 to 17:00, Fridays from 16:00 to 18:00 and Saturdays from 10:30 to 12:00.
Sports facilities and clubs
Villaz has several sports facilities such as a skatepark, a football pitch and tennis courts. There are also paragliding, mountain biking and tennis clubs. For those who prefer to go for a walk, there are marked trails around the village.
The tourist trails of Villaz
There are four fairly easy tourist routes for beautiful walks in the countryside, all starting from the Place de la Mairie:
- The Ailles circuit: starting from the town hall square, you walk along the church and the Paquelet de Moyron castle built in 1591. The fortified house is private with a beautiful portal. At the beginning of the Pré fleuri road, you will see on your right La Roseraie, one of the houses of the Compagnons du devoir. If you take the route du grand Nant, then the route des Ailles, you will have a beautiful view of the Salève, the Mandallaz and the bell tower of Saint Martin Bellevue which is at the top of the forest. You return by the Pré Fleuri road to the town hall. The circuit measures 3 km.
- Le circuit des Coteaux: by leaving towards the hamlet of Les Vignes, you benefit from a magnificent view of the mountains of Lake Annecy. You pass under the power line and follow the path that goes towards the Grattepanche stream and then onto the road of the same name. You will see the Girondales vineyard hillside, replanted in 2017, then the stadium and the tennis court, to cross a hamlet in the direction of the Filière bridge. You then come to the tarmac road of the Chemin du Vieux Four. The return journey takes the Rossand path and then the Arcey path to the Crêt de Paris road.
- The cheese trail: from the Place de la Mairie, follow the Avenue Bonattrait with the Château de Bon Attrait on the right. You can visit the Parmelan cheese dairy which produces 5,000 reblochons per day. There is a shop where you can buy this cheese. Going straight on the Chemin de l’Épine, you then turn right onto the Route des Mivres to stop at the GAEC des Narcisses farm. You can buy one of the best reblochons in the region and taste a unique speciality: the fondant du Parmelan.
- The circuit of the old village: at the beginning you can visit the beautiful church of Villaz dedicated to the Nativity of Mary, which welcomed Saint François de Sales on 6 October 1607. On the left, you can admire the castle of the Paquelet de Moyron. Then on the road to Pré Fleuri, on the right, you will see La Roseraie, one of the houses of the Companions of the Tour de France. To return, turn right onto the Chemin des Cruets and then right again onto the Route du Grand Nant to admire the Château Bon Attrait, a 13th century fortified house.
Services & Administrations
It is located next to the church at: 18 rue du Porche Rond. The management has been entrusted to a team of volunteers: the association “Bibliothèque de Villaz”.Opening hours :
- Monday from 10am to 12pm
- Wednesdays from 4pm to 8pm
- Friday from 4pm to 6pm
- Saturday from 10 am to 12 pm
It includes a nursery school and a primary school. For the youngest children, there is a 28-place multi-accueil crèche and a 10-place micro-crèche.
Villaz is equipped with a climbing gym, a football pitch at Le Varday, tennis courts anda sports trailat Le Varday. The Moufflets garden welcomes children in the mornings with about fifteen childminders.
The post office
Address: 316, Avenue de BonatrayOpening hours : Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 2pm to 5pm Thursday 9.15am to 12pm and 2pm to 5pm Saturday 9.15am to 12pm
Monique Moussy, the sector social worker, receives people by appointment at the Villaz town hall on the first Tuesday of the month from 2pm to 4.30pm.
Villaz waste collection centre
Located on the route du Grand Nant, it receives only green waste:
- Summer opening hours (April to October): Wednesdays from 9am to 12pm and from 1.30pm to 6.30pm and Saturdays from 9am to 12pm and from 1.30pm to 6.30pm3 0.
- Winter hours (November to March): Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 1.30 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
1 place de la Mairie 74 370 VillazTel : 04.50.60.61.64Opening hours:
- Morning: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8.30am to 11am
- Afternoon: Monday, Thursday and Friday from 2pm to 4.30pm, Tuesday: 4pm to 6.30pm
Villaz Town Hall website