Faverges-Seythenex is located at the end of Lake Annecy. It allows you to reach the Savoie via Ugine and Albertville. With a population of 7,869, it offers the possibility of enjoying Lake Annecy and the nearby mountains, such as the Bauges massif. It is 25 kilometres from Annecy and takes 10 minutes to reach the famous Tamié Abbey.
History and heritage
Located in the Natural Park of the Bauges Massif, this commune near Savoie has had a rich history over the centuries. Its name comes from the Latin word “faber”, which means forge. During Roman times, the town was called Casuaria, and it is a stopover between Moutiers and Geneva. An ancient Roman road bears witness to this traffic route.
A fortification on the site of the castle was erected by the barbarian tribes. After the construction of the castle of Faverges in the 12th century, a strong artisanal activity is established in the city with tanneries, cutlery factories and forges.
In 1132, theAbbey of Tamié was founded. Situated a few kilometres from Faverges, it still houses a dozen Trappist monks who produce the excellent Tamié cheese. In the 19th century, the town saw the development of a cotton factory, then a silk factory. The iron mines of Sambuy were exploited until the end of the 19th century.
In the 20th century, important companies settled in Faverges: S.T. Dupont (luxury lighters and pens), Staübli (textiles and industry) and Bourgeois (cookers and ovens). The visit of the cave and the waterfall of Seythenex is possible since 1906.
The bridge of Seythenex, built in 1912, allows the inhabitants to move around more easily. In the 1960s, the Sambuy resort was developed. This was a new economic activity for the Faverges region. In 2021, the town built a photovoltaic park on the site of a former waste disposal site. 20% of its production will be used for local consumption by the inhabitants and the local economic fabric. This local energy production loop is a first in Haute-Savoie. The investment is 2.3 million euros. Municipal buildings are connected to this network.
The best rated hotels
Depending on your budget, we have selected five hotels near Faverges that offer excellent value for money and have very good customer reviews:
Just outside Faverges, in the commune of Doussard, L’Arcalod is a beautiful hotel with 38 air-conditioned rooms. The restaurant serves local products. We recommend you to visit the nature reserve of Lake Annecy. Open from May to September.
From €78 per night.
Hotel du Parc – Manoir du Baron Blanc
Located in Faverges, the hotel is an old 19th-century Piedmontese villa decorated in the style of the period. You will enjoy its large wooded park and the proximity to the city centre to visit the town. Private parking.
From € 78 per night.
Residence Le Birdie – Escapades
Near Faverges, this beautiful residence is located not far from the Golf de Giez. It offers 80 rooms, including 6 adapted for disabled guests. There are 2 swimming pools, a sauna, tennis courts and a children’s playground.
Prices start at € 69 per night.
Au Gay Séjour
This family-run hotel is located in Giez near Faverges. It offers 10 rooms including one for disabled guests and an excellent restaurant. You can visit the waterfall and the cave of Seythenex and go hiking in the Bauges massif. An excellent address according to the guests’ opinions.
From €90 per night.
Hotel du Lac
A few kilometres from Faverges, in the commune of Talloires, this beautiful hotel has been run by the same family for 3 generations. You will appreciate the view of the lake. It is an ideal starting point to discover the region as far as the city of Annecy and the neighbouring ski resorts.
From 90 € per night.
Cultural and sports facilities
The territory’s cultural structures are numerous and diversified:
- The Faverges-Seythenex media library offers books on loan, reading of the press, online services (videos, self-training), as well as free events (stories, exhibitions). Address: 29 rue Simon Tissot-Dupont, 74210 Faverges.
- The music school: the local music school offers children and adults the opportunity to learn the flute, trumpet, guitar, piano, percussion and clarinet. It is one of the oldest associations founded in 1895. Address: Centre Robert Staübli, Place de Bühlertal, 74210 Faverges
- La Soierie: is a friendly space for families with workshops on games, environmental health and convivial moments for seniors. Address: Route d’Albertville, 74210 Faverges.
- The Viuz-Faverges Archaeological Museum: it offers a journey through the last 2,500 years of human occupation in the region. Axes, bronze ornaments and coins are on display. Address: 855 route de Viuz, 74210 Faverges.
- La Micro-Folie: this is a cultural platform integrating: a digital museum which shows films, a Caf’Pop which is a place for exchanges, debates, conferences and finally the Fabulabo which is a fablab which proposes to make creations. This facility is free of charge and is open on Wednesdays from 2pm to 5pm and on Saturdays from 9am to 12pm.
Finally, the Favric’Arts is a cultural project which concerns the whole territory of the Communauté de Communes des Sources du lac. Dance, theatre, music and many other artistic forms are proposed to allow the development of the population. The particularity of this project is the free access to these activities. Young people are the first to be involved, with links between the schools and the associations concerned.
The town has a number of high-quality facilities for practising a wide range of sports:
- An outdoor fitness area allows you to do cardio and weight training, from the age of 14. It is freely accessible in the Simon Berger park.
- A brand new multi-sports area is located in the Prés d’Enfer area.
- A large multi-sports hall dedicated to athletics, but also to team sports: handball, basketball, volleyball, tennis. The facility also includes an indoor climbing wall, weight training, dance and martial arts rooms.
- A bowling alley is located in rue de la Fontaine. It is equipped with lighting for night games and six areas for boules.
- A dojo for the practice of martial arts.
- A skatepark for young people, located on the route d’Annecy.
- A tennis club on the route d’Albertville.
- A large 30 km cycle path linking Annecy to Marlens.
A multi-accueil named“Les copains d’abord” has 40 places for children from 2.5 months to kindergarten. This site is located at Place de Bühlertal in Faverges-Seythenex and is open from 7.15am to 6pm.
The“La graine d’éveil” day-care centre offers parents occasional care for 10 children from 2.5 months of age. Located at 105 rue du Bief, it is open on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 8 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.
To facilitate contacts, a Relais d’Assistante Maternelle is open at 5 voie des Docteurs Joseph et Pierre Mouthon in Faverges.
The town of Faverges-Seythenex has several schools:
- Three nursery and elementary schools.
- The “Jean Lachenal” secondary school.
- The private professional high school “La Fontaine”.
An original system of extracurricular activities has been set up: Wednesday mornings “without school bags”. These are free sports, cultural or manual activities, which are offered to pupils in the nursery and elementary schools of the commune. They take place at the René Cassin school group, located in Rue de la République, from 9am to 12pm.
Markets in Faverges-Seythenex
The town offers two regular markets and a summer market. This is an opportunity to buy fresh, local produce from short circuits.
- The regular market is held every Wednesday morning from 8 am to 12.30 pm, rue de la République. It offers foodstuffs, clothing, as well as flowers and plants.
- The farmers’ market takes place every Friday from 4pm to 8pm in the Halle, Place Carnot. It is an opportunity to discover the gastronomy of Haute-Savoie and to exchange with the producers.
- The summer market is held every Monday from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm, rue Macherine, in Doussard. From June to early September.
Address: 98 rue de la République 74210 Faverges-Seythenex Tel. 04 50 32 57 57 Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday from 8.30 am to 12 noon and from 1.30 pm to 5 pm. Official website: www.faverges-seythenex.frThe tourist office is located at Place Marcel Piquant Official website: www.sources-lac-annecy.com