Menthon-Saint-Bernard is a village in Haute-Savoie, in the Rhône-Alpes region. It has about 1,889 inhabitants and is located about ten kilometres south-east of Annecy. The inhabitants are the Menthonnais and the Menthonnais. A visit to the Château de Menthon is essential because of the beauty of the building.
The village of Menthon stretches along the right bank of Lake Annecy, over an area of 4.51 km². Menthon-Saint-Bernard is situated to the east of Lake Annecy, to the south of Mont Veyrier and to the north of the Roc de Chère. The village is strategically located at the foot of the foothills of the Bornes massif. It is next to the communes of Veyrier-du-Lac, Bluffy and Alex, with whom it forms the Communauté de communes de la Tournette. The village has a municipal beach: the beach of Menthon-Saint-Bernard. You can walk along the edge of the harbour to the palace of Menthon.
History of the Menthon family
- Around 1008, in a first castle built 2 centuries earlier, was born Saint-Bernard-de-Menthon, founder of the hospice of Grand-Saint-Bernard, canonized in 1220. He is the patron saint of mountain people.
- The de Menthon family, which still owns the castle, arrived in 1190 from Burgundy. Its founder was Jean de Menthon.
- The castle as we know it began to be built in the 13th century. It contains many treasures: furniture, books, tapestries.
- In the 15th century, Admiral Nicod de Menthon was governor of Nice. Later, Guillaume de Menthon was Lieutenant-General of Savoy.
- In the 19th century, René de Menthon was a great collector of plants and an artist.
- In the 20th century, Henri de Menthon was a deputy in Haute-Saône. François de Menthon was one of the founders of the French Resistance, creator of the “Liberté movement” in Annecy and Lyon, editor of an underground newspaper, Minister of Justice of the provisional government at the Liberation, prosecutor at the Nuremberg tribunal and founder of the Catholic Youth Workers movement.
Top rated hotels
Depending on your budget, we have selected five hotels near Menthon-Saint-Bernard that offer excellent value for money. They have very good customer reviews:
Located next to Menthon-Saint-Bernard, in Talloires, this beautiful family hotel offers 32 rooms. The facilities are complete: swimming pool with jacuzzi, terrace overlooking a large shady arch with beautiful palm trees that take advantage of the mild climate of Talloires.
From 104 € per night.
Beau Site Talloires
Located on the edge of Lake Annecy, this hotel has 32 rooms including 2 PMR. Families can take advantage of the communicating rooms. Quality facilities: private beach, spa and swimming pool. The chef offers a tasty cuisine inspired by seasonal products.
From €187 per night.
Hotel Cottage Bise
This hotel is located in the bay of Talloires. It features 35 rooms, a heated outdoor swimming pool and a spa. The proximity of the Roc de Chère nature reserve makes for a beautiful walk.
From 194 € per night.
In Veyrier-du-Lac, this hotel is located opposite the lake. It offers rooms with a contemporary decor. The cuisine is Italian inspired. Public underground parking is available nearby.
Rates start at €99 per night.
L’Abbaye de Talloires
This hotel is located in a former abbey founded more than 1000 years ago. You will appreciate the magnificent view of the bay of Talloires, the starred gastronomic restaurant, the private pontoon and the two terraces. It has a 200 m² spa.
From € 330 per night.
Tourist monuments and events
The village is not lacking in charm, with its small shops and narrow streets leading up to the castle. It has a neo-classical Sardinian church dating from 1847 and a Gallo-Roman baths site. Every summer, from mid-June, about fifteen concerts are offered to the public every Friday and Saturday.
Castle of Menthon-Saint-Bernard
The castle dominates the commune on the road to the Col de Bluffy and dates from the Middle Ages (12th century). It was remodelled in the 15th and 16th centuries and underwent improvements in comfort from 1740. The current appearance of the castle dates from 1880, giving it a resemblance to the castles of Louis II of Bavaria.
Like a fairytale castle, it is an essential visit that your tour guide recommends. It is said to have inspired Walt Disney to create the castle of Sleeping Beauty. Find all the information to visit the Castle of Menthon-Saint-Bernard.
You can admire other castles around Annecy which are worth a visit:
Muzik at the water’s edge
Every year the village offers “Muzik au bord de l’eau” on the main square. These are free concerts that take place every Friday evening and some Saturday evenings from 6.45pm to 8pm during July and August. From Annecy, you can use the free L2 shuttle bus with departures every 30 minutes.
Sports facilities and clubs
Cercle nautique du Lanfonnet
Promenade Philibert d’Orlye, Catmaran, dinghy and kayak courses in July and August afternoons.Tel: 04.50.60.13.63 or 06.14.33.06.57
4 quick courts and 2 clay courts, small restaurant from April to October, open tournament at the end of August. Route de la plageTel: 04.50.60.12.51
The Menthon Saint Bernard courts are located under the hundred-year-old trees of the port and are open to all players. Competitions are organised during the summer months.
Diving in Lake Annecy
The commune has the Delphis Plongée club, with about fifty members, a boat and state-qualified instructors. Scuba diving initiation sessions, as well as cleaning of the lake bottom, are regularly organised.
The pottery market of Menthon-Saint-Bernard
Every year for more than thirty years, this village on the shores of Lake Annecy has hosted its traditional pottery market. It takes place on the banks of the harbour on the last Sunday in August. A modelling workshop is offered to children. Potters give throwing demonstrations. Various styles of pottery are offered for sale.
Car parks in Menthon-Saint-Bernard
This typical village on the shores of Lake Annecy has many parking areas:
- The large free car park at the municipal beach.
- The car park on the route du Port near the lake.
- The car park on the allée du Bouverat above the Menthon Palace.
- Many small car parks are located in the town centre along the route des Moulins and the route de Talloires. They provide easy access to the shops.
Services & Administrations
Rue St Bernard 74290 Menthon-Saint-Bernard Town Hall : www.menthon-saint-bernard.fr
Rue de la Poste 74290 Menthon-Saint-Bernard
The Clos Chevalier public school is located at 170 route des Côtes. The private nursery and primary school Les Moulins is located at 10, chemin des Écoliers. School catering is provided by an association: Les Petits Gourmets de Menthon located in the public school.